High-risk drug alert: Poisonous mushrooms growing in Victoria
Assist Plus - Blog

High-risk drug alert: Poisonous mushrooms growing in Victoria

Key messages

  • Poisonous mushrooms including death cap mushrooms and yellow-staining mushrooms occur in Victoria during autumn as the weather becomes wetter and cooler.
  • Consuming a death cap mushroom may result in death.
  • Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
  • There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
  • Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
  • Remove any mushrooms growing in home gardens as young children and pets can easily eat them.

What is the issue?

Death cap mushrooms

Death cap mushrooms (Amanita phalloides) are highly toxic, with ingestion of just one mushroom being lethal to an adult. Symptoms of poisoning include severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even if initial symptoms improve, serious liver damage may have already occurred, potentially leading to death.

These mushrooms typically grow beneath oak trees, featuring caps ranging from 40 to 160 mm in diameter. Cap colors vary from pale yellow-green to olive brown, with white ridges on the underside. The stem base is characterized by a membranous ‘cup’.

Yellow-staining mushrooms

Yellow-staining mushroom (Agaricus xanthodermus)
Yellow-staining Mushroom (Agaricus xanthodermus).

The yellow-staining mushroom (Agaricus xanthodermus) is the cause of most poisonings due to ingestion of wild fungi in Victoria. Consuming yellow-staining mushrooms causes nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting. The severity of symptoms varies with the amount eaten.

This mushroom looks very similar to regular purchased mushrooms or ‘cultivated mushrooms’ (Agaricus bisporus) and to edible wild mushrooms such as the field mushroom (Agaricus campestris). In urban areas the yellow-staining mushroom is unfortunately much more common than edible mushrooms. It can grow in large troops in lawns and gardens.

Who is at risk?

Anyone who collects and consumes wild mushrooms of unknown species is putting themselves at risk of potential poisoning and serious illness. Consuming a death cap mushroom may result in death.

Children should not touch wild mushrooms with their bare hands and animals should be kept away from them.

Pets can develop a range of illnesses from eating wild mushrooms, including gastroenteritis-type syndrome to severe life-threatening disease and death. Dogs are more likely than cats to ingest mushrooms.


Unless you are an expert, do not pick and eat wild mushrooms in Victoria.

People should urgently attend an emergency department if they believe they’ve eaten a poisonous mushroom. They should also take any remaining mushrooms with them for identification.

In most cases, the sooner treatment can begin, the better the outcome. Do not wait for symptoms to occur before seeking medical attention.

Contact the Victorian Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Australia wide). Keep and photograph a sample of the mushroom that was consumed to share with the Victorian Poisons Information Centre for expert identification of the mushroom.

Pet owners should take particular care in areas where mushrooms may grow and where possible, remove any mushrooms from your garden before pets have a chance to eat them.

Remove any mushrooms growing in home gardens by wearing gloves and carefully place in a bag and dispose of them in a closed rubbish bin.


Emergency: If you are experiencing an emergency, please call an ambulance on 000, or if you need to speak to someone urgently please call the National Alcohol and Other Drug Hotline on 1800 250 015.